Re: Canon Lide 35 not working

* Brad Rogers <brad@fineby.me.uk> [2008 Nov 05 04:02 -0600]:
> On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 10:28:15 +0100
> Allan Dreyer Andersen <swoop@swoop.dk> wrote:
>
> Hello Allan,
>
> > Thanks a lot Brad, your solution did solve my problem.
>
> You're very welcome, Allan.

Glad I was able to help in some small way by suggesting an alternate.
BTW, I checked and mine is an LIDE 30, not 40.  D'oh!

Typically, when something can be done as root and not as a normal user
there is a permissions problem.  I too have my user as a member of the
scanner group as well as several others.

This reminds me of the way I did things when I started out on Slackware
many years ago.  Groups weren't used as extensively as in Debian and I
spent a lot time making this binary SETUID root or that one and it was
a mess.  It took me a while to figure out that such wasn't necessary in
Debian as groups are heavily used to maintain access control.  This use
of groups is an important bit of knowledge for the new Debian
administrator.

- Nate >>