Re: disk names at boot

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 12:05:26 -0700, ghe wrote:
> David Schmidt wrote:
>
> > I might be wrong but perhaps e2label is what you are looking for.
>
> Been there; done that :-)
>
> That would work to get the machine booted, as would using the UUIDs. But
> I really want my system disk to be sda so the /dev filesystem will work
> as expected with tools like dd. (I almost scribbled all over the wrong
> disk once because of this.)

I think you can use the device node symlinks in /dev/disk/by-label/ or
/dev/disk/by-uuid/ to avoid ambiguities, or you can write your own udev
rules to generate other symlinks in /dev that always point to the right
partitions.

AFAIK, the present architecture of the Linux kernel does not allow for
the /dev/sdX nodes themselves to be well-defined in the manner that you
would prefer.

          Florian   |