Solved! qpopper - Failed to create /var/spool/pop/.username.pop

Jerry Stuckle wrote:

The problem here, for anyone else who might have had this problem, was that the /var/mail directory's group was root, instead of mail. Evidently qpopper gets the gid from this directory's group.

Changing the group to mail solved the problem.

Hi, all,

A bit long, but trying to get all possibly relevant info in one post.

I have a new system, and I'm still learning my way around some. I've got one problem I can't seen to solve. When a user logs in to fetch his mail, he gets the message:

-ERR [SYS/TEMP] Failed to create /var/spool/pop/.username.pop with uid 1000, gid 0. Change permissions.

I looked at /var/spool/pop; the owner is root:mail, permissions drwxrwsr-x, just like they should be.

I originally had qpopper starting in inetd.conf with the following:

pop-3 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.qpopper -f /etc/qpopper.conf

I also tried the following from another system, which works:

pop-3 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/in.qpopper -f /etc/qpopper.conf qpopper

No luck with either. As I was migrating things to xinetd anyway, I took it out of inetd.conf and created the /etc/xinetd.d/pop3 as:

service pop3
{
  port = 110
  socket = type=stream
  protocol = tcp
  wait = no
  user = root
  server = /usr/sbin/in.qpopper
  server_args = -f /etc/qpopper.conf
}

Also added group = mail, no luck.

Everything I see looks good - but still the message. Could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

TIA.

Jerry