Question regarding bonding of multiple eth's

I seem to be having a problem with bonding under Debian Lenny, but I am not sure exactly what the problem is.

I have two servers and each server has two gigabit network cards. We have two gigabit switches that we use so that we have failover should one die. I matched both eth0’s to switch0 and both eth1’s to switch one. I then bonded the eth’s together on both servers. I posted how I did it below just in case I screwed something up. Once I did the bonding, everything looks to be OK. I can ping out and I can ping the hosts from other systems. I pulled the network plug from one of the cards and watched that the failover worked as it should. Then I plugged it back in and removed the other. Everything worked as I thought it should; I am not an expert at bonding but I have used the same method a few times now without problem.

Well I went on about my business and soon complaints began to come in that one server was much slower then the other. :-/

I began investigating and sure enough, one system is slower. Transferring a 1GB file across the network, I easily maintain ~38-40M/s on the first host and I usually top out around 15-18MB/s on the other. Ifconfig shows that both cards are set to the proper speed (txqueuelen:1000) but it isn’t behaving like should be. Worse is when I do a watch or htop or something else that updates I can notice the lag. For example, I have ssh’d into the system and have htop running right now; it is supposed to update every 2 seconds. It works like it should for a short time but then every once in a while the screen freezes for about 10 seconds, then everything updates all at once and continues its 2 second update interval.

I thought it was the network cards, so I disabled the bonding and tested each of them. I get gigabit speeds individually. Rebonded the cards and I am back to the slow speeds. I turned off the system to see if there was physical damage or something (found nothing) and when I brought it back up I saw this in the logs:

Oct 30 11:53:04 Hostname kernel: [   10.167568] bonding: bond0: Warning: failed to get speed and duplex from eth0, assumed to be 100Mb/sec and Full.

Oct 30 11:53:04 Hostname kernel: [   10.167568] bonding: bond0: enslaving eth0 as an active interface with an up link.

Oct 30 11:53:04 Hostname kernel: [   10.264691] bonding: bond0: Warning: failed to get speed and duplex from eth1, assumed to be 100Mb/sec and Full.

Oct 30 11:53:04 Hostname kernel: [   10.264691] bonding: bond0: enslaving eth1 as an active interface with an up link.

Oct 30 11:53:04 Hostname kernel: [   10.578052] NET: Registered protocol family 10

Oct 30 11:53:04 Hostname kernel: [   10.579606] lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions

Oct 30 11:53:05 Hostname kernel: [   12.884391] tg3: eth0: Link is up at 1000 Mbps, full duplex.

Oct 30 11:53:05 Hostname kernel: [   12.884391] tg3: eth0: Flow control is off for TX and off for RX.

Oct 30 11:53:06 Hostname kernel: [   13.012292] tg3: eth1: Link is up at 1000 Mbps, full duplex.

Oct 30 11:53:06 Hostname kernel: [   13.012292] tg3: eth1: Flow control is off for TX and off for RX.

I see the tg3 messages in the first server, but I don’t see the bonding warnings. My guess is that the bonding is somehow screwed up and stuck on 100Mb/sec and doesn’t update when the cards go to 1000Mb/sec. I tried to find an answer via google but did not find anything that seemed useful to me. I see others have had this problem, but I found no solution that helped me.

 I don’t know why one works and the other doesn’t. They should be pretty similar in setup and configuration as I didn’t do anything drastically different when I built them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris Stackpole

How I did the bonding:

# apt-get install ifenslave

# vi /etc/network/interfaces

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

auto bond0

iface bond0 inet static

            address 10.3.45.3

            netmask 255.255.255.0

            network 10.3.45.0

            broadcast 10.3.45.255

            gateway 10.3.45.251

            dns-nameservers 10.1.1.5 10.1.1.6

            dns-search mydomain.com

            up /sbin/ifenslave bond0 eth0 eth1

            down /sbin/ifenslave -d bond0 eth0 eth1

Then I restarted (yeah I know I could have just reset the network but I restarted).

When it was back up ifconfig shows bond0, eth0, eth1, and lo all correctly.