Re: How to start chroot BIND automatically at boot

--- Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu,30.Oct.08, 12:48:32, Stephen Liu wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >

> > Debian Etch
> > bind-9.5.0 compiled on source
> > chrooted
>
> Hello,
>
> In my very humble opinion, the point of using Debian (as opposed to
> LFS)
> would be that you have packages precompiled and ready to use, so you
> don't have to write init scripts by yourself.
>
> In case you really, really need to recompile (because the Debian
> package
> disables some options or enables too many) you can always pull the
> sources for the Debian package and recompile that (incorporating
> whatever changes you need).

Hi Andrei,

Thanks for your advice.

I'm following the guide of Postfix Virtual to build a mail server;
http://www.postfixvirtual.net/dnsbind.html#

It compiles all packages from source.  I just follow their steps.

> > Which file I have to edit adding;
> > /etc/init.d/bind9 start
> >
> > so bind9 will start automatically at boot.
>
> That would be /etc/init.d/bind9 ;)
>
> > # ls /etc/ | grep rc
> > bash.bashrc
> > inputrc
> > nanorc
> > rc.local
> > rc0.d
> > rc1.d
> > rc2.d
> > rc3.d
> > rc4.d
> > rc5.d
> > rc6.d
> > rcS.d
> > wgetrc
> >

> > rc.local ?  It is an empty file.  Only "exit 0" is there.
>
> Of course, what did you expect to find here? But if your script is
> specific to a package that it is usually better to use a separate
> file.
> There is somewhere a skeleton file which you can use to build your
> script, but I would rather take the script from the official Debian
> bind
> package and adapt to my needs.

According to the guide it runs;

#/usr/local/bind/sbin/named -u named -t /usr/local/bind -c
/etc/named.conf

to start bind9

I'll put;
/usr/local/bind/sbin/named -u named -t /usr/local/bind -c
/etc/named.conf

on rc.local

# ls /etc/init.d/ | grep bind9
No printout.

The official script is not installed because I installed bind9 from
source, I suppose.

Thanks

B.R.
Stephen L