Re: USB drive not ready

Hugo Wau wrote:
My external 500 GB USB drive had never worked immediately, but when it was warmed up, it finally connected and could be used. But now have I come to a point, that the connection does not work any more - not with ohci_hcd, nor with ehci_hcd, when the letter "o" (in *o*hci_hcd) gets replace by an "e" in error messages like this:

usb-storage: device found at 6
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=04b4, idProduct=6830
usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=56, Product=78, SerialNumber=100
usb 1-1: Product: USB2.0 Storage Device
usb 1-1: Manufacturer: Cypress Semiconductor
usb 1-1: SerialNumber: ############
usb-storage: device scan complete
usb 1-1: reset full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 6
usb 1-1: reset full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 6
usb 1-1: reset full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 6
usb 1-1: reset full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 6
scsi 10:0:0:0: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery

I am pretty sure this is hardware problem. Check that it works under other OS and make sure the cablings and USB2IDE adapters are OK.

   1. Which kernel modules are needed (and which are to be avoided) for
      to connect an external USB hard drive to the system successfully?

With a USB2IDE adapter plugged into a 1TB IDE drive running on one of my lenny box, lsmod gives me -

ehci_hcd   28428  0
uhci_hcd   18672  0
usbcore 118160 8 usb_storage,rndis_host,cdc_ether,usbnet,usbhid,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
usb_storage            75936  3
scsi_mod              129356  3 sd_mod,usb_storage,libata

   3. What should the /etc/fstab look like for which kernel version?

/dev/sdb2  /mnt/extras   ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro   0   0

An internal 250GB IDE disk is populated at boot time in /dev/ using either sd_mod or scsi_mod (Not too sure on this one).

--
	en0f