NVIDIA and VGA-out

My Notebook running SID AMD64 actually with 2.6.27.4 vanilla kernel, is
equipped with a GeForce Go6100 graphic adapter.
I need to connect a beamer during lectures - preferably in dual screen
mode (Notebook screen + beamer being active).

NVIDIA's (closed source?) blob allows the "NVIDIA X server setting"
software to detect the beamer, which is connected via VGA-out, and to
use it just as I want it.

But the installation of NVIDIA's blob has changed my  X-settings so that
I can no longer run older kernels with built in open nv- drivers.

Is there a chance to have "dual screen mode" (Notebook screen + beamer)
with open source drivers?
Or is it possible to run the system depending on the kernel version with
the NVIDIA close software for the 2.6.27 kernel and with older kernels
and the open source drivers?
Which files need to be restored from backup for either one or the other?

I thank you in advance for your answer

Hugo Wau