Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2008 #1906

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 13:19:31 -0700 (PDT)
Fu-Tung Cheng <futung.cheng@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think it’s sarge.  It has been quite a while since it was installed so the details are somewhat lost but I think it was a full cd/dvd install.
>
> Not sure if this tells you the version of the install or what a good way to find out would be.

What does /etc/debian.version say?

> Here is my sources.list:
>
> /$ more /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
> deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
> deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free
>
> deb http://people.debian.org/~adconrad woody subversion
> #deb http://download.kde.org/stable/3.1.1/Debian stable main
> #for gnome2.2
> deb http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/mirrors.evilgeniuses.org.uk/debian/backports/wo
> ody gnome2.2/

You have mostly stable lines, which mean that you'll have been upgraded
as new stable releases occur.  OTOH, you have some woody lines, and
woody precedes Sarge, so the original install was probably woody.

You may by now have some sort of mixed system.

What happens if you try doing a full upgrade (changing everything
to stable) using aptitude or apt-get?

Celejar