Re: Alternatives to Google Groups?

Reid Priedhorsky <reid@reidster.net> wrote:

Dear all,

[Slightly OT, I know, but this list contains many technically savvy
people
who are able to answer well...]

I run a mailing list which is currently hosted by Google Groups. We've
been having ongoing problems with reliability (i.e., messages make it to
the web interface but not all e-mail subscribers).

Do any of you have suggestions for an alternative?

Here are the requirements.

1. E-mail list, gatewayed bi-directionally to a
2. Web forum
3. Easy for unsophisticated users to use.
4. Subscriber count of a few hundred.
5. Dozens of e-mails per day.
6. Public archives obscure e-mail addresses.

Ideally, it would be something that we could host ourselves. I know that
Yahoo and MSN both offer free e-mail lists with web fora, but then we're
still dependent on someone else's free service.

We do have a Postgres database with a user/password table and the
expertise to hook something into this. However, it would be nice if
people
who do not have an account could participate in the list.

(For example, Mailman does not meet the requirements because there's no
web forum and it's too hard to use.)

We're not adverse to paying for a solution if it's not too expensive.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks,

Reid

Have you looked into Majordomo?

I host a couple of web sites and the hosting company offers a "full" majordomo installation. This offers:
- email / config
- digest
- web interface / config

Your "3. Easy for unsophisticated users to use." requirement is open to interpretation.

I thought I'd throw in this suggestion and see what the rest of the contributors have to comment.

Good luck!

PS. I think Majordomo would be difficult to host yourself on a consumer grade ISP connection BUT should be perfect on an entry to mid level hosted domain.

One site I host on http://venturehosting.com/ has a very limited majordomo but another site on http://www.diywebhosting.ca seems to be very full featured.

--
 Doug Mitton - Linux Counter #50401