OT: validate docbook xml with target.database.document

I've been thrown in the deep end of the docbook pool and I'm curently
trying to figure things out.  I know this isn't the best place to ask
these types of questions, but hopefully you'll be forgiving.

Building the documents is done using xsltproc and passing
"--stringparam target.database.document XXX" so that olinks work.
That works just fine.  However, I like to validate the DocBook I write
regularly and I do that from inside vim by passing the current buffer
to "xmllint --validate --noout".  That reports errors on all olinks,
so I was looking for a way to pass the target.database.document string
to xmllint, but I've found no way of doing that :-(  Is there a way I
can get xmllint to handle olinks properly?

I'm in no way partial to using xmllint for validation, I'll be happy
to switch validation tool if it means I can get away from the growing
number of errors that are due to correct olinks in my documents.

Any help is appreciated.

/M