Re: From the top... cutting down Gnome

Steven Maddox (Cyorxamp) wrote:
Hi,

I originally posted about installing Gnome (and X) on a base setup to avoid the entire 'Gnome Experience' inclusive of the web browser I don't use, mail/news client I don't use, the 17 games I won't play, etc... I've totally screwed my system trying to remove these things from my already installed CD1 of Lenny (i.e. it comes with the full 'Gnome Experience') it seems to be a rampage to remove everything (again)

So scrap my original question about starting from scratch...

What is the best way of installing Lenny CD1 (Full Gnome) then getting rid of the bits you don't want ... from the top!

I had the same problems with kde, my strategy was to install the bits I knew I needed. For instance, I needed kdm and kwin so I installed those, realised I needed konqueror as well and installed that and so fort... Aptitude keeps track of all the dependencies, just keep it from installing suggest and recomends.

/Magnus