Re: cannot access www via a proxy while in a VPN

On Oct 22 08:42 +1100, Alex Samad  wrote:

> try telnet to test, for example if the uni's proxy is bla.uni.com:3128
> try
>
> telnet bla.uni.com 3128
>
> and then type
> GET /
>
> you should get a response back from the proxy which should help

    $ telnet www.example.com 80
    Trying 139.20.64.26...
    Connected to www.example.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    GET /

    Connection closed by foreign host.

The "Connection closed ..." message comes right after typing "GET /".
Normally I should see some HTML here, right? I get the same if I'm not
in the VPN.

If I omit the "www.", I get

    $ telnet example.com 80
    Trying 139.20.64.211...
    Connected to example.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    GET /

and that's it. Without the VPN, I see the HTML code of the site. Note
the different IPs. The university site says "use www.example.com port 80
as proxy", that's why I played with this here.

> or try
>
> http_proxy=http://bla.uni.com:3128/ wget -v -d google.com
>
> it should show you debugging info

    $ http_proxy=http://www.example.com:80/ wget -v -d
    www.google.de
    DEBUG output created by Wget 1.11.4 on linux-gnu.

    --2008-10-22 10:35:04--  http://www.google.de/
    Resolving www.example.com... 139.20.64.26
    Caching www.example.com => 139.20.64.26
    Connecting to www.example.com|139.20.64.26|:80... connected.