Re: Hard freezes with Sid/Experimental

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 9:18 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On 10/21/08 20:47, Kelly Clowers wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Over about two days, I have had three hard freezes with Sid/Experimental.
>> A few minutes ago, I saw one happen (the others where while I was away).
>> The computer instantly went from fully functional, no problems to frozen
>> solid. Nothing moving on screen, no response to ctrl-alt-backspace or
>> ctrl-alt-del. No response to ping or power button "soft off". The music
>> was replace by a fast cycling jittering/buzzing noise. After a hard reset,
>> everything is fine.
>>
>> The most recent obvious candidate change is the most recent kernel update,
>> which I did shortly before the first freeze. This was the upgrade to
>> linux-image-2.6.26-1-686 version 2.6.26-9.
>>
>> I see nothing in syslog - everything is normal and then BAM! - restart.
>
> If possible, go to a separate computer and try to ssh in from there.

I tried that along with the ping, but there is no response.

>> If anyone has any ideas or advice, that would be great.
>> Otherwise, I guess this a warning to be alert for problems.
>
> Only useful if you specify your hardware, and which drivers are controlling
> them.

Radeon 9550 - radeon driver
Cirrus Logic CS 46xx - CS46xx driver
ADMtek NC100 - tulip driver
onboard sata raid - sata_sil
IDE controller - amd74xx
nForce2 chipset

Try and actually send to the list this time.
Must be bedtime, I am getting too tired to think straight.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers