Re: grub complains type mismatch and won't boot

On Tuesday 21 October 2008, T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote
about 'grub complains type mismatch and won't boot':
>While trying to boot from a restored OS, grub complains
>
> Filesystem type is reiserfs, partition type 0x83

Is that the whole message?  I don't think that's a complaint.  You might
not see it when it is working, but I'm fairly sure grub always prints that
out as it tries to load the kernel you've specified.

As far as why it won't boot, it seems like either a bad FS or a bad kernel
image.  You might want to boot from CD or into some other "safe mode" as
check both of those.

Years ago, grub had issues booting from reiserfs if tail packing was on
(which is it by default).  I'm fairly sure this is not the case with
modern grub, but it might be something to investigate if your FS and
kernel image are healthy.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03@volumehost.net                      ((_/)o o(\_))