Re: libz.so.1 conflict/compatibility issue

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 16:24:41 -0700, Ken Teague wrote:

> > > This does not explain what you are doing at the moment. Do you have a
> > > symlink that you change according to which application you run next?
>
> I'm hoping that, in the end, I do not need to modify symlinks to shared
> libraries and all programs run without any modification.
>
> I hope I don't confuse anyone in this reply, as I've combined both of
> Florian's e-mail's into this single one for digestion.
>
> > > Something that I missed previously: Didn't you say this is a Lenny
> > > system?
>
> Yep, plain on Lenny
>
> > > Programs in /usr/X11R6/bin/ should not exist anymore from Etch
> > > onwards.
>
> Appears you're correct:
> host:/etc/ld.so.conf.d# ls -l /usr/X11R6/bin
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 2008-10-09 11:12 /usr/X11R6/bin -> ../bin

Ah, my mistake: I forgot that this legacy symlink still exists.
Everything is alright.

[...]

> Looks like it:
> host:/etc/ld.so.conf.d# env |grep LD_
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=:/usr/local/bin/acusim/LINUX64/V1.7e/bin:/usr/local/bin/acusim/LINUX64/V1.7e/base/lib:/usr/local/bin/acusim/LINUX64/V1.7e/ODB_6.7/lib

[...]

> > > Then I would write a wrapper script to start up acuSim after setting
> > > LD_LIBRARY_PATH and maybe LD_PRELOAD so that acuSim finds its own
> > > preferred versions of libraries before it looks in the system folders
> > > (see "man ld.so").
>
> Can you please expand on this and possibly provide an example?  Thanks
> so much for your assistance. :-)
>
> acuSim does have me sourcing a config file:

[ snip: the config file sets and exports LD_LIBRARY_PATH and other
  environmental variables. ]

Have you put the command to source this config file into .bashrc or
another startup file? I would remove that and use a simple wrapper like
this:

#!/bin/sh
source /usr/local/bin/acusim/LINUX64/V1.7e/script/.acusim-sh
/path/to/the/command/that/starts/acuSim

Put the above three lines into a file that you call, for example,
my-acusim. (Replace the last line with the correct command to start the
application, of course.) Make this file executable and put it into
/usr/local/bin (system wide) or ~/bin (only for your user). Then you can
use the command "my-acusim" to start the programm. It will run with the
correct environmental variables while the rest of your system should
remain unaffected.

          Florian   |