Re: Debian on MacBook

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 07:06:15AM -0400, Tom Allison wrote:

> I would love to hear more about the potential for running Debian on a
> macbook.  I'm growing concerned that Apple is doing that Thing where they
> slowly build up a wall around their OS (Embrace, Extend).

I am running Debian Sid (dual boot alongside Mac OSX) on a standard
13" Macbook and I haven't encountered any major problems so far. The
only thing I can complain about is the reduced battery life as
compared to OSX, but I believe that is not really a Macbook-specific
issue. I have not experimented heavily with smart frequency scaling
and hard-drive spin-ups, so that might be a reason for that. Other
than that, wireless, sound, iSight etc work just fine.

> I'm struggling with some basics like: Cups, Postgresql, Ruby/DBI that I
> shouldn't think would be unsupported.

I have CUPS running fine. I am able to print from Windows networked
printers without trouble.

> So, if someone figures out how to boot and support a MacBook I'll be very
> interested.  I picked a Macbook because it had a tendency to just work,
> especially with power management and network configuration.

If there are any specific issues/compatibilities you would like me to
check and report on, I'd be glad to help.

--

Regards,

Kumar.

--

Kumar Ravichandran

Graduate Research Assistant
Department of Aerospace Engineering
University of Maryland
College Park, MD.

"An eye for an eye will only make the entire world blind."

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi