Re: Docx and OpenOffice in Lenny

Dotan Cohen schreef:
> 2008/10/20 Paul van der Vlis <paul@vandervlis.nl>:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is there a way to see docx documents in OpenOffice in Lenny?
>>
>> I know there is this:
>> http://katana.oooninja.com/w/odf-converter-integrator
>>
>> But it seems not to be in Debian. Is there an alternative?
>>

> OpenOffice 3 is your best bet, though if there is complex formatting
> then even that is not very good.

Even a conversion to flat-text would be nice.

Ah, I see OpenOffice.org 3 is out officially now. But there is no
support for it in Lenny and I would like a supported product.

I am a sysadmin for some offices who are running Debian on the desktop,
and I am working on Lenny. I am wondering there is nothing in Debian for
docx.

> My solution, when possible, is to write to the body from where the
> .docx comes from and request that they resend in PDF.

I can do that for my private stuff. But for e.g. a notary office this is
not usuable.

> Even users of MSO <2007 will be unable to open .docx files.

Only if they don't install a plugin. And maybe this plugin is, or will
be, automatically installed by MS online update.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
http://www.vandervlis.nl/