Re: usb printer udev cups bug??

On Saturday 18 October 2008 21:23:01 Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 10/18/08 13:44, henk wrote:
> > When my usb printer(canon pixma 510) comes on line, udev creates the
> > following device:
> > /dev/usb/lp0 root:lp 0660
> > The problem is cupsd runs as lpadmin, so i get permission denied errors.
> > The question: is this a bug, if yes: a cups one or a udev one?
First to clarify : cupsd runs as user lp group lpadmin

> You could edit the relevant udev script to tell it to have the
> device use group lpadmin.  If that works, file a bug against udev.

For now I have changed cupsd to run as group lp because
1. couldn't find any device owned by lpadmin in /etc/udev/ and

2.for this in /etc/cupsd/cupsd.conf:

# Group (Group)
#
# The group the server runs under.  Normally this
# must be lpadmin, however you can configure things for another
# group as needed.
#
# ex: lpadmin
#
#Group lpadmin

After changing this to lp, the  printer is fine.
But this sort of problem can prevent many users to use their printer.

Can you elaborate on why udev should solve the problem?
All udev rules create devices as group lp, not as group lpadmin.

Maybe we can organize an election between the two.

udev 1 cups 0  :-)

Mzzl
	H.

--