Re: ALSA not working properly

Nigel,

Thanks.

 Hi Sam. If the above doesn't change anything on your T60 for the
 sounds, there are a couple of options I can suggest, both of which
 I've tried, and work. Not on a T60 admittadly, but on an Asus M2N-X
 Plus mobo, with hda intel Azalia soundcard.

Especially the second approach seems interesting to me. I will check
that out let you know about pains and successes.

 So to work, and this is the first thing I tried. Add the following
 line to /etc/apt/sources.list.

 deb ftp://musix.ourproject.org/pub/musix/deb/ ./

 All you want from the above repo is a kernel, and the one I installed
 has alsa driver 1.0.16, which resolved my problem, and may resolve
 yours.

 Next, do an apt-get update, then open synaptic. The kernel I
 installed was, as below. linux-image-2.6.26.2-rt1-libre1

 Having installed this kernel, make sure to go back into
 /etc/apt/sources.list, and comment out the musix repo line, by
 putting a # at the start of the line. I cannot stress this enough, as
 if you do an apt-get dist-upgrade with the musix repo still active,
 you could possibly find packages being updated from the musix repo,
 and oftentimes can cause problems.

 Ok. Now the new kernel is installed,  reboot using your newly
 installed kernel, and see if your sounds are working any better than
 before.

 Moving on to option 2, simply upgrade the alsa driver. Many patches
 have been added to the alsa driver since 1.0.12rc1, particularly with
 reference to the snd-hda-intel module, so go to the link below, and
 download alsa driver 1.0.17, which is the current stable version.

 http://alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page

 I'd suggest creating a new folder in your /home/user directory for
 this Alsa stuff. I simply name mine Alsa-drivers, and download all
 the Alsa packages into this folder/directory.

 You now need to install some packages, so as to get your newly
 downloaded alsa driver built, and installed.

 Su to root on the CLI, and open synaptic, and install the following
 packages. build-essential kernel-package linux-headers-2.6.18-6

 That done, close synaptic,and run apt-get install
 linux-headers-$(uname -r)

 This will install the headers for your kernel.

 Now to build, and install the 1.0.17 alsa driver.

 As user, cd to where you downloaded the driver, then do: tar xjvf
 alsa-driver-1.0.17.tar.bz2

 A new folder/directory has now been created, so do:

 cd alsa-driver-1.0.17

 Now type: ./configure, and when that runs to completion, type: make,
 which may take some time. When make completes, with hopefully no
 errors, su to root, and type make install. If all has gone well, and
 after a reboot, (using the Etch kernel, not the musix one, if you've
 also installed that) running cat /proc/asound/version should now show
 the alsa driver as 1.0.17.

 Now you may, or may not have better control of sounds on your T60.

 I don't have a Lenovo T60 laptop, so these are only suggestions given
 with the hope that they may be of some help in resolving your
 problem.

 You asked where I'd found the model options for the AD1981 codec. I
 assume you have downloaded the 1.0.17 driver, and unpacked it using
 tar xjvf, which creates a new folder/directory. Click on the new
 directory, then on alsa-kernel, then Documentation, then
 ALSA-Configuration.txt.

 All the best.

 Nigel.

Regards,