Re: Grub dilemma

En/na Frank McCormick ha escrit:

I am running two distributions on my machine...Sid on hda1 and another
(Ubuntu) on hda3. Grub seems to boot from hda3...as I have to copy Grubs
menu.lst to hda3 every time Sid's kernel gets updated. (I don't remember
where I installed Grub..it was a long time ago ).

No.

You have installed your ubuntu grub on the MBR, but when debian has a kernel upgrade your ubuntu doesn't upgrade its grub configuration file because it isn't a automagic kernel. :-)

You have to edit your grub configuration file and put something like this:

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

title        Debian
root        (hd0,0)
kernel        /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro
initrd        /initrd.img
savedefault

Then when debian upgrade its kernel, the symlink /vmlinuz point to the correct new kernel because kernel instal·lation update the symlink too.

Cheers