Re: Mails stay in /var/spool/mail, without being forwarded

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 15:34:31 -0700, Richard A Nelson wrote:

>> "Most Linux systems are set up to use procmail as the local delivery
>> agent by default, so you should not have to set up a .forward."
>>
>> Or there is something else?
>
> procmail is optional, and so can not be the default MDA
>
> In Debian, sensible-mda(8) is the default MDA, and it, in turn will use
> one of procmail(1), maildrop(1), deliver(8), or mail.local(8)

Ah, thanks for the explain.

I hope that such default MDA configuration can be stored in debconf DB so
that I can pre-seed it before (debootstrap) installation.

 dpkg-reconfigure -p low sensible-mda

produces nothing configurable.

> Which ever you choose, make sure there is a a link for it in
> /etc/mail/smrsh (you update them with /usr/share/sendmail/update_smrsh)

YES, running /usr/share/sendmail/update_smrsh without any parameters
solved my problem. Just that,

Previously there is only one link there.

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root smmsp 26 10-10 15:41 mail.local -> /usr/lib/sm.bin/
mail.local*

Having run /usr/share/sendmail/update_smrsh, there are 2 links there.

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root smmsp 17 10-17 22:14 procmail -> /usr/bin/procmail*

is added.

Is it normal? Should /etc/mail/smrsh contains only one link?

Further, where can I get help on /usr/share/sendmail/update_smrsh?

 /usr/share/sendmail/update_smrsh -h

is no use.

$ man update_smrsh
No manual entry for update_smrsh