Re: Login name in Sid

Frank McCormick wrote:
> Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > On Thu,16.Oct.08, 13:57:41, Frank McCormick wrote:
> >> Lately I've noticed that when I logout, the system says I am logged in
> >> as "comment", not my login name. I get into Gnome via GDM, and it
> >> doesn't seem to matter whether I type in name and password..or let it
> >> automatically log me in. If I drop into a terminal whoami says I am my
> >> user name.
> >>
> >> Any ideas where to start looking.
> > Can you reproduce the exact message mentioning user "comment"?
>
> > Regards,
> > Andrei
>

> Here's the full screenshot:
>
> http://imagebin.ca/view/bE6JKe.html
>

> Cheers

I would try dropping to a Terminal window and running "whoami".

I would look in /etc/password to see if "comment" shows up in that file.

I'm suspecting this is specific to Gnome, in which case it may be just a
field number mis-match in Gnome's reading of the /etc/password file, or
something similar.

--
Kent West     <*)))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com