Re: puseaudio in Debian - is it ready?

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 12:04 AM, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
Jesse Sheidlower wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 12:00:20PM -0400, H.S. wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is anybody using pulseaudio in Debian? I am interested to know what is
>> its status in Debian Sid and Lenny. If somebody has been successful in
>> installing and running it, could you share your experience.
>
> I tried it some time ago and gave up in frustration, but
> recently gave it another try. I was specifically trying to
> solve the problem of USB audio: different apps seemed to have
> different ways of dealing with this, so I couldn't just plug
> in USB speakers and go, I had to do one thing for the system
> as a whole, then a different thing in one sound program, then
> another thing for blah blah blah.
>
> The PA installation and setup was a bit of a drag, though I
> followed detailed instructions online. And now that it's
> working, it's perfect; everything Just Works. There are a few
> minor problems I'm having but on the whole I'm glad I did it.
>
> Jesse Sheidlower

Having read what people posted, it appears that pulseaudio is on the
right track. In this thread, only Paul has discouraged its use and
Preston is having trouble (appears to be a hardware problem), and two
others are having a ball of a time with pa.

So if it works, it is wonderful. If it doesn't, it is a pain to get
working. Moreover, it has networked sound. So I can play a movie on my
media PC in my home lan over at my laptop -- if I understand pa correctly.

Now if somebody can describe the steps which are fairly reliable to get
it to work on a Debian machine, I might give it another shot in the not
too distant future when I get some time.

Regards.

ever having been read.