Re: ALSA not working properly

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 16:41:19 +0200, Samuel Bächler wrote:
> Dear All
>
> I have an etch installed on a lenovo T60. Most of the times simply clicking
> on a mp3-file in konqueror [1] will start playing that specific file.
> But, sometimes
> it does not.
> There are three sound-bottoms on my keyboard: mute, volume-up and
> volume-down.
> In my opinion the sound problems occur whenever I boot the laptop when the
> mute-bottom was pressed the last time I used the laptop. On the other
> hand sound
> seems to work fine whenever the volume-up-bottom was pressed at least
> once the
> last time I used the laptop.
>
> Any hints?

Next time this happens, run

speaker-test -t sine

from the command line. If that stays silent, too, then you should check
the volume settings with "alsamixer". (Watch out for muted "MM" controls
and low levels.)

> Moreover I can provide you with the output of a script I found at
> alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Aadebug:

[...]

That looked normal, which is why I suspect the mixer settings. Maybe
kmix or alsactl are restoring a previously-muted control to the same
state after the next reboot.

          Florian   |