Re: About apt-file

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 22:47:15 +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:
> Jochen Schulz wrote:
> > Stephen Liu:
> > >
> > > What I'm looking for is the package providing the command
> > 'mysqladmin'
> > > if neither having MySQL installed nor knowing which package
> > provides
> > > mysqladmin.  I need to install that package.
> >
> > What about a simple 'apt-cache search mysql admin'? It reveals there
> > is
> > a package named mysql-admin.
> >
> > J.
>
> Hi Jochen,
>
> This is only an example.  We already know mysqladmin coming from
> mysql-server/-client.  Therefore we can add mysql on the search.  In
> some other case if we have no idea of the package.  We only know the
> command/file.  How can we find the package?  "apt-cache search
> command/file" doesn't always work.

$ apt-file search bin/mysqladmin
mysql-client-5.0: /usr/bin/mysqladmin

This should work as long as you know the exact name of the command and
as long as it is a "normal" executable in /bin, /usr/sbin, /sbin or
/usr/sbin. (Chris and Johannes pointed out apt-file already; it seems
that you missed the relevant line in the output that you posted
earlier.)

          Florian   |