Re: ext3 filesystem and file name restrictions

Adam Hardy wrote:
Hi,

I created a samba share on one of my debian boxes with a ext3 file system and unfortunately I can't write files with certain file names from Mac OSX.

This disrupts the back-up process which takes about an hour every time to fail when I want to try it out again.

For instance, there is one file name like this:

2AE2EAEE-57AC-46D8-B619-C2167D4C6786:ABPerson.abcdp

which has a colon in it that I guess is the problem.
I don't think so:
$ touch test:test
$ ls test:test
test:test

so colons are not a problem. I also don't see any other character that should pose a problem, so I guess you have some other difficultly.

After finding out all I could about Mac file systems and names, my conclusion is that macs are pretty special, especially their file systems.

Is there a basis for the file name restrictions on ext3, i.e. can I say, well ext3 is based on a standard, so I'm going to restrict the file names on macs, otherwise they won't be backed up?

Thanks
Adam