create folders in data drive

I have a debian (I believe it is lenny) system running and somehow managed to install a second drive (called /new-disk) where owner and group are root. As user I can open the drive up and add and delete files but can't create folders (create folders is greyed out when '/new-disk' icon is opened up) but if I open up a terminal window I can 'mkdir' any folder I want with myself as owner. I would like to know how to add myself to owner/group of '/new-disk' so I can add folders instead of opening up a terminal. I have learned a lot from reading the messages posted in this list so thanks very much for the education but these old brain cells are having a hell of a time digesting and understanding them!!!

John

PS I have been reading the archives but may have missed this if something has been posted previously.