Re: kernel config q

Hugo Vanwoerkom:

> But that the combination of 'Y's and 'M's is immaterial as to the
> functioning of the driver.
>
> Am I correct?

Generally yes. There are modules which are better compiled statically
(IDE/S-ATA, filesystems) but they work either way.

> This in regard to trying to get smartctl to work with my external USB
> ATA drive. Which works OK with the debian kernel but not in my own
> compiled one.

Are you sure you could successfully run smartctl no a drive attached via
USB? As fas as I know, SMART values cannot be read from a device if it
is attached to a USB port.

J.
--
I think the environment will be okay.