X terminal problems

Hi!

I have a weird problem with my X-terminals (I've got the same behaviour
using xterm / urxvt and xfce4-terminal.) - When stepping through what I
have previously entered using the up/down keys the line doesn't get
completely cleared.

For example - Enter

# Whatever whatever whateverwhatever whateverwhatever whateverwhatever whatever important commands <ENTER>

Prompt is now
#

<press up key>

# Whatever whatever whateverwhatever whateverwhatever whateverwhatever whatever important commands

<press down key>

Prompt shows:
# Whatever<cursor>

and then it's like the first 8 characters is part of the prompt, and
won't go away no matter how much I press backspace. (a simple enter
restores the prompt though.)

Is it some buffer that I must increase or something simple like that?
It is only evident if I enter a really long line.

Help would be much appreciated.

/Andreas Rönnquist