Re: No such file or directory

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008, Sven Joachim wrote:

On 2008-09-29 10:23 +0200, Robert Holtzman wrote:

so I ran chmod as root and got this:

debian:/etc/iceweasel/profile# /etc/iceweasel/profile$ chmod 644
bookmarks.html
bash: /etc/iceweasel/profile$: No such file or directory

Damned strange considering I was in /etc/iceweasel/profile at the
time. Could someone explain what's going on?

It looks as if "/etc/iceweasel/profile$" is the beginning of the command
line, not part of the bash prompt (which consists of the
"debian:/etc/iceweasel/profile#" string).

I saw that too. Whenever I run "su" the prompt loses the user name, i.e.

holtzm@debian:/etc/iceweasel/profile$ su
Password:
debian:/etc/iceweasel/profile#

This doesn't happen with ubuntu or fedora, which I also have on this box. Since I recently installed debian, this is the first I've run into it. Oddly, I tried changing perms on other files after becoming root and had no problem. So far this /etc/iceweasel/profile$/bookmark.html file is the only one giving me a problem.

Thanks for your reply.

--
Bob Holtzman
The most dangerous ones aren't the ones who don't know.