Re: libc6

Antonis Antoniou:
> 2008/9/25 Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de>
>> Antonis Antoniou:
>>>
>>> I install the package via dpkg and I got errors
>>
>> Why do you use dpkg? Where did you get the deb from that you are trying
>> to install?
>
> The reason I did not use aptitude because I couldn't install any package due
> to conflicts. If I was
> trying to fix it from aptitude I would have downloaded and install a lot of
> packages which  I was afraid that
> I would broke the machine :-)

:)

>  I got it form wget
> http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/glibc/libc6_2.7-13_amd64.deb

The problem may be that all your other programs were compiled against
the version you had installed previously (which, as I remember, was
quite old).

libc6 is a very, very important package. You cannot upgrade it to
another major version without upgrading half of your system.

>> To me this looks like your new libc6 is very broken and now nothing
>> using it (which is about everything) will work. But i might be wrong.

Correction: I guess it isn't broken in any way, it's just that all your
other programs are linked to an older version and don't work with the
new one.

> Basically I cannot exec rsync, scp
> If I manage to get the old libc6, I used to have, and manage some how to
> install it (since I cannot execute dpkg) it wil work (in theory)?

Yes, I think so.

J.
--
In an ideal world I would cure poverty and go to the gym at least three
days a week.