Re: external USB harddrive not recognized when present at boot

Ron Johnson wrote:
On 09/25/08 02:34, Lubos Vrbka wrote:
hi guys,

i am encountering an interesting (and annoying) problem. when the external USB harddrive is plugged in during boot (i have dell d430 with d/port port replicator - the drive is connected to one of the usb ports on the d/port), i can hear it spinning in the very beginning, but then it powers down and won't get recognized. it's neither shown in /dev/disk/by-uuid nor do the udev rules apply to create the node in /dev.

Is it an externally-powered drive? If so, maybe newer kernels are slower to react to your drive.
yes, it is an externally-powered drive. but when connected directly to the notebook, it works...

But then, I've got an external Firewire drive, and it's recognized at boot, as are all my thumb drives, so maybe your product doesn't follow some spec well enough, and new kernels are more strict than older kernels.
would there be any way how to find you if this is the case?

best,
lubos

--
Lubos _@_"