OT: HTML Q - How to cycle through text blurbs in a box?

Not Debian-related, but you folks are the best source of technical
answers I know of.

I've been googling and digging for two days, but I can't quite hit on
the correct Google search terms to find my answer ....

I also have limited web-designing experience (mostly straight HTML, and
only a beginner's concept of that).

I want to put up an HTML page that has a text area that either:

1) shows a short blurb of text (e.g. "Today is Lincoln's Birthday.
Celebrate by spending a penny.") for 5 or 7 seconds, and then fades out
(preferably, although instantly snapping to the next blurb is better
than nothing) to be replaced by the next blurb of text, and so on until
all 10 blurbs (or fifteen, or whatever) have been shown, and then start
over.

OR

2) scrolls through the various blurbs slowly, and then returns to the
top of the list to scroll again.

I've managed to work out the Javascript code for doing this with
pictures (http://goshen.acu.edu/cmr02b/) by snarfing and tinkering with
code from a site that does it, but I can't figure out how to do it with
text.

Preferably the text blurbs to be used would be located in separate files
(or a single file, if that's easier).

Thanks for any help!

--
Kent West     <*)))><