Re: Why Hald

David Baron wrote:
> Hal got installed along with dbus although it apparently does not use it.
> Libhal packages were around before.
>
> Why do I need hald running? Can it be disabled without effecting other
> programs?
>
> I suspect that it has/causes/exasperates some problems in 2.6.26 kernels.

If you are a running a desktop environment like GNOME, XFCE or KDE, you
definitely should not disable hal.
Unless you don't want to have stuff like auto-mounting of removable
media, removable or hotplugged devices in general, like digicams,
network-manager etc. They all depend on hal.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?