SMTP to an ISP _via_ an OpenVPN tunnel.

Folk,

Thanks for the info about ssh.  I'm working on it.

My tunnel & etc. are described here.
"http://carnot.yi.org/DebianPage.html#Network";

shawmail.gv.shawcable.net accepts a message
by SMTP from Heaviside.  shawmail does not
accept a message through the tunnel from Dalton.
I want to adjust the configuration so that both
cases work.

>From Joule, a telnet connection to shawmail
seems OK.

peter@joule:~$ telnet shawmail.gv.shawcable.net 25
Trying 64.59.128.135...
Connected to shawmail.cg.shawcable.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 pd7ml1no-dmz.prod.shaw.ca ESMTP
quit
221 pd7ml1no-dmz.prod.shaw.ca
Connection closed by foreign host.
peter@joule:~$

On Dalton, /etc/openvpn.conf specifies that
the route to shawmail is via the tunnel.  Ie.
route shawmail.gv.shawcable.net

I guess that the Shaw server recognizes that
Dalton is outside the WAN.

Can anyone suggest an adjustment?
Is bridging the home and work networks
through the tunnel, for example, likely to
solve it?

Server info is here.
http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/CustomerCare/InternetSupport/Residential/Email/ServiceDetails.htm#ServerAddresses

Thanks,           ... Peter E.