Wireless card trying to attach to other access points

Hi all.

I am running debian lenny beta 2 on a thinkpad t23 laptop with a prism 2.5 onboard card. My problem is that after installing, before I tried to do anything with the card, I discovered with iwconfig that I had two interfaces--wlan0 and eth1--that were supposedly using an essid and access point that presumably belongs to one of my neighbors. I don't think the card is actually succeeding in a full connection as I can't access the internet when I remove the ethernet cable, bu I can't get rid of these wrong essids. When I put in my essid for my network, which I also have in /etc/interfaces, the information appears to be accepted but the attempt to connect with dhclient doesn't work and when I reboot I find that these interfaces are again trying to connect with the wrong access point. How do I get rid of these and get my crd working properly on my system. Either that, or how do I get rid of the interfaces for this card completely and use the pcmcia atheros chip card that I have used successfully with another machine in the past?

tia.

--
Cheryl