Re: tar block question

Bob McGowan wrote:
Mike McCarty wrote:
David Fox wrote:
On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 1:16 PM, Mag Gam <magawake@gmail.com> wrote:

<<<<--- deleted tar/cpio disucssion ->

But perhaps an iso or other disk image format would work better? The file would be mounted using to loop device, updated with rsync, and randomly accessed as needed.

The mount command would be:

  mount -t iso9660 -o loop /path/to/image/file.iso /mnt

Then, use files or rsync files between the /mnt the the "real" work area.

Good grief, what am I thinking?? Can't use an ISO image, as once it's created it's static.

You need a disk img from a random access type, like a floppy or hard disk.

Not sure exactly how to create an image from scratch, though I'm sure there are utilities to do it. I'll get back on this once I figure it out.

--
Bob McGowan