Re: kernel swap question

On 09/13/08 17:34, Mag Gam wrote:
Also, my I/O is pretty fast. It can do 250/MBsec read/write randomly.
If that helps..

Don't think so...

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 6:28 PM, Mag Gam <magawake@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a system with 32GB of RAM. The application is designed so it
does not do sequential reads and it does random operations. The

That's not the best use of IO resources. Of course, some apps, like OLTP, are random by design, and you just have to suffer the extra, un-used (i.e. wasted) effort.

application memory intensive and I would like it to not swap. I want
it to use physical memory as much as possible. Once the memory is read
and operated on, I want that page to disappear and not even goto
paging status. What is the best VM tuning for this?

If it is a single-application machine, the most direct method is to disable swap.

# swapoff -a

Another tactic would be to use a small swap file, and reduce "swappiness".

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

hook beneath it."  -- Thomas Jefferson