Re: rsync over lan

tyler wrote:
Hi,

With some help from the good people on this list, I got a simple home
network setup, and I'm now using it to backup my laptop to my desktop
using rsync. I have one question though - I'm backing up /etc, /home,
/opt, and parts of /usr and /var. I want to preserve ownership, but if I
do the backup from my user account as:

rsync -av --include-from=/home/tyler/rsync_includes /
  etch.mynetwork:/home/tyler/laptop

Then the ownerships all get set to tyler tyler, even when they are
originally root root. In order to preserve the ownerships, I have to run
the above command as root, which requires that I configure sshd on the
desktop to accept root logins. Even behind a NAT router, that doesn't
seem like a good idea. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Tyler

Yes that is normal. I have been using root login's for many years. Just use shared keys and add "PermitRootLogin without-password" to sshd.conf and root can only login using a shared key. Ain't no one going to guess a shared key.

Also I use rsnapshot. It uses rsync to download the data each time into a separate directory and all the files that have not changed are hard linked back to the older directory. That away you can have multiple snapshots without using tons of space. Sorta the way backuppc works too.

Sam