Re: Emacs has hard time with big text files

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 09:28:42AM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> After reading your message I did a quick test: I have opened a 279Mb
> (2632033 lines) file in emacs and in vim. That is on a laptop with 4G
> ram (64-bit system).

My comp is PII with 192Mb RAM and 255Mb swap.
As my 46 MB file keeps growing up I hit the limit.
When opening file of 150Mb size emacs show in minibuffer:
Maximum buffer size exceeded
and refuse to open the file at all!
I added another 1Gb of swap but it did not help.
How does emacs decide the maximum size of file it accept?

Martin