Re: sound popping on powerbook DVI

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 8:03 PM, Jeffrey Loren Shaw <shawjef3@msu.edu> wrote:
> The only thing I had to configure manually was to put the line
> "snd-powermac" in /etc/modules to get sound to automatically work after
> booting. The problem is that sound often clicks. If I use the trackpad it
> clicks horribly in addition to the regular clicking. A usb mouse doesn't
> seem to aggravate the clicking. I've tried totem movie player and VLC.
> I've searched on google and this list's archives for a solution but haven't
> found a solution. I would definitely appreciate any help!

Hi Jeff,
Here's what I would try first:
apt-get install alsa-utils
alsamixer

Cycle through each slider, and mute unnecessary sound channels (hit
the 'M' key).  It could be that some sound channel you don't need
enabled is picking up system noise. If that doesn't help, is there any
difference with the clicking
if you use headphones?

Cheers,
-Elijah