[OT] moving out to a new /home

Hi,

My main desktop is an amd64 running Debian with 2GB RAM and 160GB
disc, about to burst with all the stuff i have in /home. I can clean
it up a bit but i'll just delay the issue. I can also repartition,
since / is only taking up 25% of its space and i don't use the XP
partition anyway.

My test box is an old Compaq Armada laptop - no battery, no monitor, a
piece of junk. But works, with 96RAM running Open BSD. I use it to
serve http and ssh at the moment, and maybe ftp in the future. Being a
laptop it uses less power and the fan is more silent. I'm inclined to
having it working 24/7, however, it only has a 4GB disc.

What i'm thinking about is finding a big 2.5" IDE and use that laptop
not only as my server toy but also as my /home, that way i can share
its contents through the home network to the other pcs. The desktop
would mount it at startup (NFS?), they're connected through the home
router. Alternatively i could find a way to adapt the 3.5" 160GB SATA
to the laptop but i think that's unlikely. The laptop only has USB
1.0.

Are there any big hard drive limitations or is creating a small /boot
partition at the start of the disk enough?
Any other suggestions?

TIA

--
Nuno Magalhães