Re: [Debian-User] How to get ia32-sun-java6-bin plugin working on iceweasel/iceape amd64 debian system?

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 4:20 PM, Javier Vasquez <jevv.cr@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using java-gcj-compat-plugin under my amd64 debian, and it
> mostly worked...  However the bank I have my accounts under, recently
> moved due to "security" reasons to some java applets NOT supported by
> java-gcj-compat-plugin.  On my i686 systems I had no problems using
> the sun-java6 plugin, but on my amd64, the sun-java6 doesn't provide
> the plugin, and ia32-sun-java6 plugin is required...
>
> The problem is that the ia32-sun-java6 plugin doesn't get recognized
> by iceweasel/iceape, due to its ia32 nature apparently...
>
> Is there a howto abotu getting ia32-sun-java6 working under
> debian-amd64?  I've searched the web (it might be my queries aren't
> that good though), and found nothing except installing ia32 binaries
> whether from firefox or seamonkey, and then things would work...  But
> I just wanted to use the 64b versions of iceape/iceweasel, is it
> possible?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Javier

Just in case the message I get when trying to load the plugin:

LoadPlugin:  failed to initialize shared library
/usr/lib/jvm/ia32-java-6-sun/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
[/usr/lib/jvm/ia32-java-6-sun/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so:
 wrong ELF class:  ELFCLASS32]

Notice I get the same thing when loading the non-free flash plugin,
but that plugin ultimately gets loaded since it's supported by
nspluginwrapper while the ia32-sun-java6 one apparently isn't:

% nspluginwrapper -i
/usr/lib/jvm/ia32-java-6-sun/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
nspluginwrapper:
/usr/lib/jvm/ia32-java-6-sun/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
is not a valid NPAPI plugin

So the question is whether in reality the only way to get
ia32-sun-java6 working is to get a ia32 browser, :(...  Or there's a
way to get it working under amd64 iceweasel/iceape...

Thanks,

--
Javier