Re: Emacs has hard time with big text files

Ron Johnson wrote:
On 09/05/08 10:46, Mike McCarty wrote:
Martin wrote:
When I open big text file (46M in this case) emacs take long time for
moving cursor and editing. It takes 3-4 seconds to process every key
press.

Is this only my case or is emacs in general sluggish with big files?

Have you looked at the output from top? You may be swapping.

Must... not... compare... emacs... to... Operating... System...

I wasn't comparing anything to anything. I don't understand
even what your objection might be.

If he's filled up memory, and the system has swapped the code
EMACS uses to move the cursor to disc, then he may be seeing
lag due to swap time to move the code in and execute it.

That might or might not slow down other applications, depending
on what cache algorithms are in effect. Keypresses don't come
very often.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.