How to manually install plugins to browsers

Hi,

I compiled opera and firefox to my local directory in Debian box and I also
build VLC from source to the local directory. Can the locally built
VLC plugin be manually installed  to local opera and firebox? I guess
the plugin installation is simply to copy VLC plugin libraries to
opera/plugin or firefox/plugin directories, but I could be wrong.
Please elaborate the procedures and details.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Jim