emacs upgrade multiple disasters

I've had the usual emacs upgrade disasters with locks not being able to be gotten by dpkg and consequently as usually happens ended up removing all emacs add-on packages from this system just to clear the errors. The weird dpkg behavior happens in such a way that error messages loop and repeat unnecessarily when this dpkg breakage happens too. That being said, does any way using dpkg to find out ahead of time when these add-on packages get compatible with the current version of emacs without the necessity to download them and find out we're just into another disaster? What I ended up removing was debian-el and dependencies and gnus and dependencies and gnus-bonus-el and dependencies. Interestingly, dpkg did not always purge packages as it was directed to do during the removal process so I had to clean up after it that way too. The current version of emacs tried to install all of these add-ons and failed spectacularly which tells me someone thought the current versions of these packages would work with this new emacs release and got it so very wrong.