Re: how to restrict developers in /var/www/html directory...??

Consider using ACLs.

I think this is really the only way. Only Linux user-level tools support for it lacking (though it works perfectly).

What I was trying locally is having the files owned by the user & its group. An ACL (+ default ACL) adds access for the www-data group, so the web server has (read) access. Users are NOT a member of the www-data group.

Personally I think Windows ACLs are a lot easier to control and manage.

- Joris