Unable to xm console into a virtualized server with Xen and Etch

Hi list,

I am having a hard time trying to get into the console of my domU.

My setup is as following:

dom0 uses Debian Etch with a custom made 2.6.21 kernel provided by my
webhosting company Ovh. I cannot make any changes to dom0.

My domU is installed using debootstrap and runs Etch on a
2.6.18-6-xen-amd64 kernel.

My domU boots successfully and I can "xm console" into it only during
boot and shutdown sequences, outside of these 2 timeframes, nothing
happens when I issue the "xm console" command. My domU is fully
functional, it's just the console that refuses to work as expected. I
can ssh into it though, but I would like to have a 100% functional
domU.

Has anyone experienced the same kind of problem with the same kind setup?

I have posted messages on the Xen mailing-list, but as people don't
use the same distros and the same kernel versions, their tips don't
always apply to me.

Best regards,