Sound driver configuration issue?

Hello,

I've done a fair amount of legwork to try to get recording working on
my Etch machine.  I'm using Alsa-based sound, and have successfully
set up my microphone and recording with a locally-compiled Audacity
(and even Windows programs like Ventrilo through Wine).  I am using an
ATI SB600 Azalia motherboard-integrated sound card.

However, I think I've got something set wrong in the mixer.  When I am
recording, anything playing in another program will get picked up by
the audio capture (e.g. playing a background track in Audacious while
trying to record a solo track through Audacity, the background track
will show up in the recording).  I can tell I'm not just picking up
speaker sounds on the microphone, since this happens even with the
speakers off.  I tried disabling one of the two "capture" devices in
alsamixer, but one of them has no effect and the other just kills all
recording, both internal sounds and microphone.

I suspect this is a stupid configuration issue that should be obvious,
but I can't seem to find it.  Has anyone had any problem like this,
and have you resolved it?  If so, how?

Best,
Jeff

p.s.
While I have the ears of any recording folks on this list, I've
noticed a problem in my Audacity in that if I record, then play back,
a track, when I next hit the record button, the program will just
hang.  Unfortunately I had to compile this audacity from source,
because Alsa support isn't present in the packaged versions of
Audacity.  I suppose I should try recompiling, but if anyone has any
other workarounds that they use to get Alsa-supported Audacity in Etch
(or has alternative recording programs) I'm all ears.