Re: Sound volume user specific?

On 08/31/2008 01:00 PM, Michal R. Hoffmann wrote:
[...]
Thanks to few other responses I know I can use alsactl; I tried as a mere user (not a root) and it allows me to store / restore the settings; ie
/usr/sbin/alsactl -f /home/userA/.alsa-config store
/usr/sbin/alsactl -f /home/userA/.alsa-config restore

Now, what are the ideal places to put these commands in? So it would store on switch user/logout and restore on login? I'm afraid that if I just modify the gdm configuration files (like gdm.conf) they will be overridden soon with some gdm update (quite possible in sid). On the other hand I'd prefer to get it working globally (not to add a script on each user's account).

If you're using IceWm or KDE, you can put the appropriate commands into ~/.icewm/startup or ~/.kde/Autostart/. Gnome has a sessions system that might let you specify a startup script; for scripts that quickly configure something then exit, this is tricky, but you can try going into "Settings-> Sessions" (from memory). The dialog may or may not allow you to add your script to the session.

Other options are ~/.bash_profile and ~/.bashrc; however, the commands would then execute at either each login or each new subshell creation event. It's possible to write the code so that the script that sets the volume only executes once per login or session or day.